Tuesday, January 9, 2018

January 9, 2018
10:56 p.m.

Today I was reminded why I really hate to watch or read the news.

Truthfully, I'm often reminded of this. 2017 was filled with horror stories. While so many ignore or outright deny climate change and global warming, devastating fires raged across the west. Flooding occurred in Texas and Louisiana. Hurricanes hit the mainland, destroying much, and also hit Puerto Rico, destroying most of that entire region.

After all the damage throughout the USA and Puerto Rico, many hundreds of acres of land have been left barren and without vegetation, many areas are at increased risk for flash floods and landslides.

Fresh water sources have been polluted, power is out, people are homeless and starving.

Across the country, people have been the victims of lunatics with military-grade weapons. Peaceful demonstrators have been run down by lunatics in vehicles. The people in this country have turned on one another over inanities like statuary and crocheted caps.

Insanity. 2017.

Yes, I was blessed to report the many blessings last year bestowed upon me, but throughout the year, these were the so-called newsworthy stories, and none of them were good.

My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered losses. My prayers have been with all the firefighters and volunteers who have risked their lives and given their time to help out. The majority of aide has come from everyday Joes who have donated money, time, food and toiletries.

Worst responders? The US Government. Puerto Rico remains largely without power or resources. No common sense weapons laws have been discussed. Healthcare has been repeatedly threatened and tax laws that favor only the rich have been passed.

I am repulsed, really, by the lack of empathy from those who hold the most decision-making power in this country. DACA is pretty much on its last legs. The largest medical coverage for low income children will soon be completely depleted of funds, and nothing has been done to re-fund it.

I can semi-relate to the feelings of loss many people continue to deal with.

In 1993 I lost my home and everything in it to a house fire that affected not a single other structure in my neighborhood. I would not have wished that mess on a single other person on the face of this planet; I was so happy, in spite of my sorrow, that it was contained and didn't spread to anyone else's home, because I know very well that it can happen, and quickly. So when I see the fires raging, consuming people's homes one after the other--it's a horrible feeling. When I see homes washed away by storms and flooding, I get it.

And you know, even if it means driving through standing water past another person's home vs wading through your own living room in search of the strong box you put everyone's birth certificates in, people all around these situations are affected in so many ways. Even if your own living room remained water-free this year, or even if your own home survived raging flames or gale-force winds, you likely know someone whose did not.

Even if you were able to put a meal on the table for your family tonight, you likely know someone who really struggles to do the same.

Even if you are able to pay your own medical bills, you likely know someone who is skipping the medications that they need because they simply can't afford them.

Because it really is a small world.

In all these cases, people are losing their lives, suffering from illnesses and injuries and still they will get up tomorrow to go out into the world and help their neighbors. There will be people coming from all over the country to help neighbors they've never met, to console families, to give food and water and clothing. Volunteers will provide medical care, free rides, shelter.

People have been and will be at their very best in horrible situations, because in times of greatest need, we rise above the pettiness and present the world with our innate ability to love our neighbors.

All I can think is: Why can't we be those people every day? Why does it take tragedy to pull us together? Is it really human nature to shine only on the darkest of days?

And why can't our own government learn from those among us who are willing to go out of their way to help and attempt to do the same?

I can only conclude that money does indeed corrupt.

Okay, I know that not EVERY person with money and power is looking only to himself. There are some good people out there. I just wish they were not the minority among those in positions of authority.

I really, really wish I could give up on the news.

It's a new year. I hope to see some cheerful headlines in 2018.

But so far...

*Sigh*

Good night, all!






















No comments:

Post a Comment