Monday, April 16, 2018

April 16, 2018
9:09 p.m.

I am a vivid dreamer.

So many times in my life I have awakened and spent several minutes re-orienting myself. What just happened? Was it real? Did I take something out of the refrigerator? Did I check on the kids? Did I hear something outside? Did the front door blow open?

And so I walk through the house. The door is shut, everything appears to be calm and quiet outside, the kids are sleeping peacefully, the fridge is closed and nothing has been taken out.

Except...one time the milk was left out. I don't know if I did it or not, but it was a hot summer night, so it was good to get it put away before it soured. 

Except...one time a child was moaning and sweaty and running a fever, but didn't wake up and cry until I was already in the room.

Except...one night there was an ambulance at the neighbor's house, lights flashing but no sirens.

Except...one night a winter storm had blown six inches of snow into the open living room door.

What does it mean?

Heck if I know.

These things have happened to me all my life. I have also had dreams of regular, everyday nonsense, then experienced the exact same conversations, dropped pencils, sneezing fits and tripping on curbs the next day.

When I was a kid, it used to scare me, especially when I would try to insist that something or other had already happened and everyone else looked at me like my cheese had slip off my cracker.

When I got older, it didn't happen as often, and as an adult, it has been only an occasional thing.
Not the vivid dreams, but the deja vu inducing dreams. I kind of miss them.

Now, understand that those particular dreams never predicted anything of any use to me. I may have dreamt I stepped in a pile of dog poo, for example, but it never saved me from doing it in real life. I didn't recognize any of the warning signs that may have helped me avoid poo on the shoe, or falling down, or dropping my school books in the mud. So as far as they went, the dreams were essentially useless as a tool for better living.

I would expect, however, that as an adult I might be better able to interpret predictive dreams and respond appropriately.

It rarely works out that way. 

I NEVER dreamt that dancing in my living room would lead to nearly seven months on crutches.

I NEVER dreamt that my house would burn down.

I'm more likely to have dreamt that I went into the bathroom, sat on the toilet--

and woke up just in time to avoid wetting the bed.

Yeah, REALLY useful stuff.

Especially when you're on crutches.

Okay, that's more like a nightmare, right?

Stop laughing. I made it. (I crawled. Fast.)

My favorite vivid dreams are visitation dreams. A grandparent, aunt or uncle, old friend--living or dead, it doesn't matter. They come and have a conversation with you. Sometimes it can be sad, sometimes inspiring, sometimes just silly or inane, but it can be so real, so personal, that it is hard to believe, once you wake, that is was just a dream.

I don't have these dreams nearly often enough. Usually they lead to nothing but feelings. But once in awhile they lead to really important decision-making.

I realize that my subconscious is probably responsible for all these dreams, but sometimes I just have to believe that stronger outside forces push their way in when I need them.

Why not? We all need a push from time to time. Right?

You know. So we don't wet the bed.
_________________________________________________________________________________

10:04 p.m.

I decided to watch the re-boot of  "Lost in Space" on Netflix.

Okay, it's not the "Lost in Space" I grew up loving so much so long ago, but it has been very competently updated. The characters are quite different, but absolutely believable. The "robot" is super creepy. You can really love to hate Dr. Smith--who, by the way, is now a female.

I'm only a few episodes in, of course, so this is just a preliminary assessment. But I have to say it--so far, so good!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I must get a little work done on my book before turning in.

Good night!















No comments:

Post a Comment